The University of Texas at Dallas
close menu

Farewell and Good Luck, Professor Brown!

This Fall, we bid farewell to our long-time colleague and friend, Dr. Matt Brown, the former Director of the CVMST. Dr. Brown has joined Southern Illinois University Carbondale as the Jo Ann and Donald N. Boydston Chair of American Philosophy and Director of the Center for Dewey Studies.

In Dr. Brown’s words:

I am very excited to announce that I have accepted the position of Jo Ann and Donald N. Boydston Chair of American Philosophy and Director of the Center for Dewey Studies at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. I will be teaching in a Philosophy Ph.D. program with an important legacy in pragmatism, American philosophy, and philosophical pluralism and bringing renewed life and new vision to a Center that has done crucial work for over 50 years that has benefitted me and countless other Dewey scholars.
I am sad to part from UT Dallas, which is where I started my career. I have had many wonderful opportunities there, and so many people to thank for them: not least of those, Dennis M. Kratz, who hired me and trusted me to take on the Directorship of the Center for Values in Medicine, Science, and Technology as an Assistant Professor. I am so, so grateful to Magdalena Grohman for being my collaborator in the CVMST for these many years. I could not be where I am today without her. I owe so much to Charles Hatfield, my “partner in crime” for my three years as program head. And I am grateful to my many excellent colleagues and students who have enriched my experience at UTD; I hope to find time to share my thanks with each of your personally in our final weeks in Dallas. I will always be a Comet, and I will be cheering for UTD, CVMST, and the new School of Arts, Humanities, and Technology as they grow into the future.

To read the whole Dr. Brown’s Fb post go here.
Photo credit: Sabrina Starnaman