The University of Texas at Dallas
close menu

Natacha Guyot, Stone Fellowship Report

One of the greatest strengths of the doctoral program in Arts and Humanities at the University of Texas at Dallas is its interdisciplinary nature; and the Stone Fellowship allowed me to deepen this aspect of my studies. While technically my major is in Aesthetic Studies and my minor in History of Ideas, I considered both as equally important in my research and academic interest. The Stone Fellowship helped grow new relations with the Center for Values in Medicine, Science, and Technology, whose work is of particular importance to me, given that one of my doctoral fields is in science and religion, including their interactions with feminism.

The weekly meetings were often thought-provoking and the small group atmosphere allowed for in-depth exchanges, both within regular attendees and guest speakers. They gave me insight, whether directly or indirectly into both philosophical endeavors at large, or more specifically into certain threads of my dissertation project. The interaction between fields as varied as medicine, data studies, gender studies, media studies, psychology, made for a fertile ground in terms of discussion and was fundamental in my understanding of how all fit in philosophy.

The interdisciplinary aspect was also a driving force in having us aim for clarity in what we exposed, for it was not uncommon for one’s topic and field to be foreign to several other attendees. As a doctoral student who plans to teach at university level as a career goal, this was particularly relevant to me. While conferences and guest lectures had previously helped me with this kind of experience, the regularity of the weekly meetings and the constant interaction among attendees on a vast list of topics and fields was very educating. Ensuring clarity, and often concision, as well as enhancing public speaking qualities, participates to professional development; and in that regard, the meetings were very efficient.

The objective outlined in my application to the Stone Fellowship was the writing and submission of my dissertation proposal. This took place accordingly, and “Dr. Dana Scully of The X-Files: A Feminist Scientist in a Bio-Terrorist Patriarchy” was approved in April. I have since then been working on my dissertation structure in greater depth, as well as studying additional resources relevant to my project, besides the three fields I took my field exams in during the month of February.

The opportunity to present my work during the semester before multiple audiences, including the weekly meeting organized by the Center for Values proved extremely valuable. It provided me with insight from different fields, especially feminism and philosophy, which helped clarify and strengthen the direction of my research, especially given that my background is mostly in Media Studies and storytelling. This feedback helped me look for certain points while carefully re-watching the eleven seasons and two movies of The X-Files, which comprise the principal corpus for my dissertation.

The Stone Fellowship’s financial support also allowed me to purchase additional books for my doctoral research without worry. These books were often recommendations acquired through presenting my dissertation project during the semester, including during a Center for Values weekly meeting.

Overall, the Stone Fellowship was a very positive opportunity that had significant impact in my transition from field examinations and dissertation proposal, into dissertation preparation and writing. I am grateful I was able to develop my philosophical interest in science, including its ties with humanities at large, and especially feminism, during this last semester in Dallas, before working on my dissertation remotely.